Sunday, November 21, 2010

But Wait! There's More!

So that pumpkin...I forgot to talk to you about its guts. And what I did with them.
Because when you use whole pumpkins you get to be like the Native Americans and use practically everything! Well just the pulp and seeds, but still!

When I was prepping the pumpkin for roasting I just set the seeds aside to deal with later, I was still sifting through the millions of recipes for roast pumpkin seeds that are out there-salty, spicy, salty AND spicy. I finally settled on one that was Sweet, Spicy and Savory. I was intrigued by the use of rosemary, which is one of my favorite spices.

Removing the seeds from the slimy stringy inner guts bit was highly entertaining to myself and my inner child. It has fantastic squish, and made a bit of a mess! Once they seeds were finally de-gooed i just set them on some paper towel to dry and stored them in the fridge.

I do recommend waiting to roast the seeds until you are able to eat them fresh out of the oven, they just aren't the same after they cool down! Plus it smells amazing and you should share the smell with more than just yourself. But oh man are they tasty, and the rosemary is definitely what sets this recipe apart.

Now as you know Thanksgiving was this week, and for we Sandins it's kind of a big deal. We like it better than Christmas. And this year we had the Largest Turkey in Memory, weighing in at just under 27 lbs. It took eight and a half hours to roast and we barely ate half of but that's not really the point now is it. I made sure to document the gastro blast this mini-break at home turned out to be, and even took photo evidence. Next Sunday: Giving Thanks Sandin Style.

1 comment:

caitlin said...

i, for one, will hold you to this posting pictures promise.