Sunday, November 14, 2010

"WTF do I do with bok choy??"

That was the title of an email I sent to my Aunties a few weeks ago.
You see I had just inherited a friend's vegetable order as she was out of town and was now faced with a fridge full of kale, beets, baby bok choy and a small pumpkin. Now I've always considered myself a pretty adventurous eater. And cook. I know what to do with kale. But fresh beets? Bok choy??

I was not prepared.

So I sent out emails. And asked "What would Julia and Giada do?" Armed with advice from family and friends I entered the kitchen to begin the Great Veggie Fest of 2010. Two weekends. Four dishes. One happy belly.

First up: baby bok choy
When asked my Mom remembered a salad she once ate while visiting the Aunties, "it was a salad with rice, plum vinegar, olive oil, garlic, soy sauce with apple and roasted pumpkin seeds"
Isn't it funny how some dishes just stick with you? Sure enough the Aunties knew just what she was talking about, a salad of raw baby bok choy sliced with apples and topped with vinegars.

I ended up making it with the bok choy, apples, sliced almonds and just rice vinegar. It was quite delicious, added a lovely crunch to the salad. I ate it standing up in the kitchen on a lovely Friday afternoon with the smell of burnt...something...wafting through the air. Courtesy of the new downstairs neighbors. Its never a good sign when you round the corner to find a fire truck parked in front of your apartment and the fire marshal walking out your front door shaking his head. After making sure nothing was still burning I marched straight up stairs and made baby bok choy salad. Very comforting.

Next up, beets.

1 comment:

caitlin said...

i have always cooked bok choi and been disapointed. I am excited to try this next time i get them!