Sunday, January 23, 2011

L'Hiver

I was in a very wintery mood on Friday. Not only because it was a lovely 1 degree outside, but I had just read this post on Decor*8 about embracing winter instead of grumping for months. And as strange as it sounds considering that I live in the land of XXExtreme WinterXX its not really a hard thing for me to do. I kind of love winter.

First of all there's the snow. I'm twenty-four and I still curl up in a chair to watch the first snow fall. For like hours. Snow at night is the best. The world gets sooo quiet. Hushed. I take a Long Walk most Thursdays from the bus to the library, and I love it in winter. Mostly because I'm not a sweaty hot mess after walking for an hour... But also because I can think my thoughts walking along as the snow falls down. Illuminated by street lamps as my feet crunch along the sidewalk while I'm humming to 'white winter hymnal'. It's magical.

And then there are layers and blankets and scarves! I'm a nester, the more layers the better. As a kid I was the princess and the pea of blankets. I guess that makes me the pea under the pile of blankets...or something. And I just want to live in the Toast catalogues. Shrouded in blankets and sweaters and thick socks. I even bought fuzzy faux fur boots this year and I'm so okay with it. Things just seem to slow down this time of year, the holidays are over and we go into a hibernation mode. Its time for contemplation and simple pleasures. Like slippers. And hand balms.

So Friday after work I made this hot chocolate, got in my pjs, curled up on the couch and listened to Band of Horses. Don't they sound just like winter?! So does Feist, Fleet Foxes and Nora Jones's new album (just in case you, like me, make seasonal playlists...). It was a beautiful winter sky and tiny flakes fell down from time to time. And the best thing? When I got hungry, I knew exactly what to make for a lovely winter dinner. Kale with sausage tortellini.

I totally ripped this off Alice Waters's recipe fusilli with greens and sausage. I've just simplified it and reduced the number of dishes used (because I'm lazy but have high standards). First thing you do is put a pot of water on to boil for the pasta (I like Buitoni's sweet Italian sausage tortelloni for this). Then chop up your kale and some onion. Heat up some oil and garlic in a frying pan. Add the onions to cook for a few minutes then add the kale with a dash of white wine (thanks Mo!) and a bit of water. Cook until it's just turning from the bright green stage to the darker green (and call me crazy but it starts to smell a little different too). Around this time the water should boil so cook your pasta. Once done mix it all together in the pan and transfer to a bowl for consumption. A little shredded cheese serves as a nice garnish but I can take it or leave it.

Then return to your chair by the window, turn off the lights, light some candles and watch the snow. See! Winter is not that bad!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I love everything about this.

caitlin said...

i disagree. SAUSAGE.