Saturday, February 19, 2011

"Yes, Mrs Castorini, I would LOVE some oatmeal."

Italy is still happening in my life it seems.

First off one of my favorite blogs used lines from Moonstruck for their Valentines post. I love that movie. It's like Breakfast at Tiffanys. The movie was not what you expected but has those wonderful moments of real truth that in my opinion are what art is all about. Moonstruck also led me to the conclusion that Italians are crazy and I have yet to be proved wrong. And of course that feeding people is good. You can even be bossy about it like Loretta to Johnny because, after all, she's feeding him steak which is true love (see previous post). And that life is made better with opera in it. And Cher. Basically Moonstruck is a good movie to live your life by if you ask me.

And I would very much like to say that after watching Moonstruck (bootlegged on Youtube) that I put on some Puccini and fixed up a feast of toad in the hole or steak or oily fish but alas I did not. I did not because I have no appetite. I have no appetite because I've had a cold all week and it's horrible. I have drunk lots of tea though, and used up half a loaf of bread on buttered toast and am feeling much better, even hungry now! And just in time to brighten my snot filled week was the goodies my parents got me while in Rome!! Don't you just adore a well put together care package? Brown paper packages tied up with string are indeed one of my favorite things:


This one contained a gorgeous scarf, a notebook, a cookbook devoted entirely to olive oil and solid peony perfume! My parents know me so well it's ridiculous. Mummsie even flattened and included the box the perfume came in!

There will be more to come on the olive oil cook book I promise you, it's just fantastic. And olive oil is a very Serious thing, even though I don't go crazy gourmet on it. Dr Karl likes olive oils that are "gnarly" and I tend to agree with him. I like to taste where my oil is coming from, if you like vague oils just use vegetable or canola you wimps! (Though, on a total side note the rapeseed/canola flowers make for a glorious field! A bright yellow carpet that I fell in love with in the UK)

So in honor of Italy, olive oil and soup (which is mostly what I've been eating) I'm going to share this lovely rustic stew with you:

Fagioli on Toast, from Epicurious, though I don't put the beans on the toast, just eat it straight so it's really more Fagioli (Stew) with Toast...

Ingredients:

4 thick slices country bread or rolls, ciabatta is perfect
4 tbs olive oil, gnarly
2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
a few fresh sage leaves
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes, tasty quality
1 15 oz can cannellini beans, again tasty quality
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Douse the bread with 2 tbs olive oil and toast until deliciously golden and crusty.

Put the rest of the olive oil in a skillet with the garlic and sage for about 1 min for the garlic to brown and get aromatic.

Add the tomatoes, beans, S&P and stir to combine. Cook until the liquid thickens and reduces a bit. Then pour into hefty bowls, perch the toasts on top and go to it.

Well now it's ten thirty on Sunday, I'm tired and hungry (yay!) so I'm going to close and leave you with what is the best possible response to your finance's brother (who you're in love with by the way) telling you he loves you. Classic.

No comments: