Wednesday, February 2, 2011

"You just want to stay home and cook!"



Ironically on my Blizzard of 2011 Snow Days I've been slightly pathetic where it came to cooking! Not at all what I expected, or my aunt suggested, when she commented on my status.

We left work at 3 yesterday, I crammed myself onto a sardine tight bus and stood for 1hr and 40 minutes on my commute home. Picked up milk and bread at the Walgreens and settled down in my favorite window-side chair to watch the chaos happen. Made tea and buttered toast and chatted with Moshka before she headed out into the snow. Watched the chaos in Egypt and Chicago for the next few hours. Made more tea and ate scrambled egg toast and some pickled beets. Watched The Bourne Ultimatum and the snow which by this point had turned into a Pollock painting on my window (by midnight it was more like a late Monet):

Noticed snow blowing in under the door when making tea so stuffed up the door with plastic bags (finally a use for them!!) and hung a sheet over the door to keep in the heat. See, growing up in an old house in the country comes in handy even in the city!

Around 10 pm I got hungry again, after all toast can only go so far! Feeling lazy I made a fish stick sammitch: cook 5 fish sticks in the toaster oven with two slices of bread. Slice up some red onion and lettuce. When toast and fish are done slather some tartar sauce on the bread, add fish, onion and lettuce. Now your sammitches will be inferior to this one because I have a magical tartar sauce from this place in Louisville, KY. Moshka's family has been eating fried fish here for years and so did I on my Derby Trip of 2010. But your plain average tartar sauce will be fine. Just fine.

This morning though I roused myself to put a little more effort into my feeding. French toast. Below you see my handiwork both in door sealing and brekkie making:

I was never very fond of French Toast and I still will only eat it if I make it myself, it's usually too sweet and custardy for me. I typically only make it when I have fruit to keep it lighter. Of course this morning I had no fruit just stale bread to use up. After staring at my fridge for a while I noticed a bag of Moshka's frozen raspberries. I'll buy her more later. Nuke a handful in the microwave for a minute, add some maple syrup and you have a tasty topping!

The winds had died down by noon and 24 hrs after it started the streets were clear and mountains of snow were the only evidence of the Blizzard.

Of course it's only 6 o'clock. Culinary feats could still be in store. But I kind of doubt it.
Happy Snow Day everyone!

4 comments:

Ashley K. Wescott said...

A. Love the picture of your window.
B. You watched The Bourne Ultimatum and I am jealous. I LOVE Jason Bourne.

A.Sandin said...

I own the whole trilogy, and am always up to a marathon nudge nudge wink wink

caitlin said...

A. pickled beets! tell me more!
B. I stopped watching Bourne after they killed Franke Potente off. I love her.

A.Sandin said...

O Cait

A. Didn't pickle them myself. Bought them from Jewel but they are quite tasty and good for a quick snack or side!

B. It was so sad. She was cool. If you fancy Julia Stiles she's in the third a lot!