Thursday, March 17, 2011

Tuna corks.


I mentioned I was making Miss Molly's bouchons du thon last time right?

'Cause I did. I even took pictures.


It was a cloudy faux St Patrick's day here in Chicago last Saturday. (May I add how much I adore living in a city where we dump chemicals into the river which turn it green ON PURPOSE! It's a beautifully ridiculous thing.) With Deer Tick wailin' in the background I mixed things in a bowl. Poured them into muffin tins. Baked them in a hot oven for 25 minutes. And then ate them.


Well two out of eight.

The rest I ate for lunch with Ritz crackers the next two days. And let me tell ya. These are fantastic. Do you know how valuable pantry staple, one bowl, no fuss, leftover leaving recipes are?? They are gold my friend! And since they are very similar to quiches there is a lot of wiggle room on fillings. I substituted swiss cheese for Gruyere and plain milk for creme fraiche with no backfiring. And while I don't typically have tomato paste I think tomato sauce would work just fine in a pinch. I can totally see myself, some late Sunday night, dumping anything from frozen peas to spinach into these babies (give or take the tuna) for lunch the next day. Hmm there's a frittata recipe I love, I wonder how that would do cork style? I'll have to chop much finer...it would be worth it.

But I'm dropping their French title. Anything that gets eaten on my lunch break can't be that fancy. I'm typically covered in thread, glue, and bits of leather. There is nothing fancy about that, believe me. And due to the word bouchon meaning traffic jam as well as cork I kept getting the mental image of a bunch of tuna crowding up the streets of Paris. And that's just ridiculous.
So tuna corks it is folks!

No comments: