Sunday, May 8, 2011

εὐχαριστέω

It isn't Thanksgiving but I have a lot to be thankful for. I guess my tamata has been working overtime lately!

I signed the lease for my new apartment on Friday. It was a lovely spring day and the walk over to my new place was just beautiful, a bit windy but this is Chicago, what did you expect! I wandered around my new neighborhood for a while, lots of little stores, cafes, restaurants, a lovely park etc. And only a ten minute walk from my old apartment and I can still use my grocery stores!

I'm getting the keys later this week and will begin The Great Schlep of 2011, aka the laziest move I've ever done. I can take weeks if I'd like! But the lovely P Units are coming up in two weeks and my Plan is to have it mostly done by then. I have only a few car loads of stuff after all! After signing the lease I took loads of photos and measurements of the place, and have spent most of the weekend making plans and lists and scheming away in my wee brain!

And here it is! My little studio in the heart of Ravenswood:

I'm on the third floor, with my windows facing North onto the vacant lot to the left of the buildings. The place has a great Mock-Tudor style, faux-fireplace in the hallway and everything!
I'm not sure on the date of the building, I'll try to find out though. There's also a tiny tiny elevator, in which you can reenact the lift scene from The King's Speech!

Erm, this is not quite to scale...the rooms on the left need to come in by a few feet...but it gives a good idea of ALL THE DOORS in this place. It's a French farce. So many doors!

Door of the first closet, main door and kitchen on the right.

The door to the second closet/entry to the bathroom on the left with the nooks and windows of the main room.

The kitchen has no counter space. At all. And the oven is wee (16" wide!) and doesn't push back any further due to the placement of the gas line. But...

...there is plenty of space for a small table and/or kitchen rack sort of thing for counter space and food storage. And look a that little door! You can't open it due to the moulding along the floor, but perhaps it was for an ironing board?? Or Narnia??

I can't wait to put my schemes into action and I can assure you that there will be more photos as things progress! I already bought those little sparrow salt & pepper shakers as a present to myself. And only $8 so they were hardly a splurge ;-) (see previous post)

Speaking of money, I also got my 2 1/2 yr raise, which will make my new rent easier. A lot to be thankful for indeed!

And of course it's Mother's Day so I hope you thanked your Mother/Mother Figure/Motherly Friends today. I have to wait two weeks to hug my Mummsie but I did have Miss Cait and Lisa over for tea and cranberry cornbread muffins, and they're very dear friends indeed.

What are you all thankful for right now?

No comments: