Saturday, November 19, 2011

One is Silver and the Other's Gold


I had two special visitors last weekend, Miss Lizbeth and Miss Amy drove up to these northern lands to spend the weekend with me! It was a truly delightful time, the three of us chattering away, walking through Chicago and generally being our ridiculous selves.  Some highlights include: multiple trips to Amy's Candy Bar (see the chocolate covered orange peel above); our own Amy flying down the sidewalk on top of a rolling cart (for a few feet until she went face first into the sidewalk!); and waiting in line for 20 minutes to ride an elevator 96 floors to just use the restroom (to be fair, it is the second best view in the whole city! and free!). And of course the scones Lizbeth made us for breakfast! 


She also gave me one of the best hostess gifts ever: A Taste of Ohio.  Homegrown salsa, homemade apple butter and Branstool peaches. 




It was an amazing weekend, and I'll treasure it for a long while. It's strange how these two dear girls, who I've known since I was little, fit so well into my life here.  I guess I haven't changed much! And it has been rather funny to explain to people how Lizbeth's parents were best friends to my friend W's parents and we became friends while running track. And how Amy was Lizbeth's neighbor who I met at the graduation party of her brother and his best friend who happened to be my neighbor and we became friends in art class...yay for small towns. 


I also acquired a new addition to my kitchen with the help of those charming ladies! They spotted it out front of one of the antique stores down the street, I fell in love, we haggled, and then hauled the thing three blocks to my building! (Pardon the mess, I'm usually very tidy I swear!!)


It needs a little bit of love, I already thwacked the top off and re-set it and intend to cover the top in oilcloth and wrap the insides in liner paper. I've taken to calling it The Cabinet. Though I'm not planning on keeping any somnambulists in it. Just pots.

I has already proven its worth when I made pepparkakor this week. That slide out surface is perfect for holding cookie sheets! They were delicious and I'm bummed I hadn't had time to buy this little guy:


Next time: Dala Horse Pepparkakor! GET READY!


 As if that wasn't Swede enough I also bought this: a "coffee is the best of all earthly drinks" mug. The irony being that I drink it so rarely my guests are forced to walk a block to get some since I keep none in the house! Tea is my favorite of the earthly drinks. And I have plenty.


I'm bussing out tomorrow for an epic Thanksgiving break, no idea when I'll be posting again. But don't worry. I'll be eating.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Sometimes I almost forget about Amy's epic cart-ride and then something reminds me and it's even funnier in retrospect than it was at the time (when a small part of my brain was afraid that she had just broken her face or both her wrists or all of the above). Since it all turned out ok, though, that might be the funniest mental image in my brain right now. Thanks again for having us! *loves*

Amy said...

So glad I could be the comic relief for you both! I have to admit I do find myself to be quite amusing :) That was such an enjoyable trip...I can't wait for our next one! I miss you and really want some more candy!!