Sunday, June 10, 2012

Lazy Girl Peanut Noodles



Oh man, I have been a lazy girl this weekend. I tried to blame the heat but I've got my AC on today and have still been a lazy bum...damn! Fortunately I know exactly what to make for lunch: Lazy Girl Peanut Noodles.

I came up with the recipe for this sauce way back in college. Miss Linda had made a peanut dipping sauce for lettuce or something and I ran with it. I used to use the noodles from ramen (the spice packets I used as poor girls bullion) but now just use spaghetti.



Just set a pot to boil and while you're cooking the spaghetti mix together 1/4 c chunky peanut butter (if you only have smooth just chop up some peanuts); 1 tbs brown sugar; 2 tbs sesame oil; 3 tbs soy sauce; 1 tbs rice vinegar; and some minced garlic. It's kinda gonna look like vomit. But add the hot noodles, mix it all up and set it in the fridge for a while to cool. I'm eating it out of the bowl but you don't have to.

Lucky for you though while I've done almost nothing today I have been doing a lot of things this month in general and finally got my hands on some photos of my adventures: a wedding in Milwaukee and an expedition to Wilmette. And they're good photos so I don't have to write a lot! Yaaay for lazy blog posts on lazy Sundays with Lazy Noodles.



Now I'm very lucky to have several 'big sisters' from all different parts of my life, one of which is Miss Lyndsey who became my big sister at OU where we would occasionally dress identically and I took to following her around (quite literally sometimes when I was her assistant). As it happened when we graduated we managed to move within two hours of each other, me in Chicago and her in Milwaukee.

As if that wasn't wonderful enough, the fellow who was like a 'big brother' to me at OU moved to Milwaukee too! His name is Mister Brrrrandon and he is obsessed with gypsies and puppets and muppets and it's his fault my nickname is Lexana the Bear. Well he got married on the 4th (to one of the coolest girls on the planet. no lie!) and I forgot my camera so confiscated Miss Lyndsey's to take an annoying amount of photos because the wedding was so fun!!!



Family! You can see the resemblance I'm sure.


Mister Brrrandon and his Lady Sarah, had the wedding on the lake South of Milwaukee and it couldn't of been a lovelier day! The ceremony was simple and beautiful and I cried.



That's Miss Michelle, Myself and Miss Lyndsey looking just slightly windblown but still fabulous with sailboats in the background.


The reception was in a beautiful Teddy Roosevelt-esque park pavilion which they'd decorated with lights and buntings, wildflowers and candles.



Instead of one big cake they had friends, including Miss Lyndsey and Miss Michelle, make Scandinavian Almond cakes for each table which everyone cut together with the bride and groom. Aren't they lovely! Taste divine. Miss Lyndsey make so many she could rattle the recipe off by heart, which I made her do when she dropped me at the bus station.

Scandinavian Almond Cake
Heat your oven to 350 degrees
They're supposed to be made in this fancy tin but a bunt or large loaf pan would work fine, just flour and grease the sh*t out of it if you do use the proper pan as it tends to stick!!

Mix together:
1 1/2 c sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp almond extract
2/3 c milk

Then add:
1 1/4 c flour
1/2 tsp baking powder

Mix together then add and mix:
1 stick margarine, melted

Pour into pan and bake for about 50 minutes until a knife comes though clean, let cool a bit then flip out of pan to cool completely. Looks lovely with powder sugar sifted though a doily on top!



Miss Lyndsey also made Mister Brrrandon's vest which you can see him modeling here.

photo by Taylor Bailey
And I stole this off his facebook page just so you can see the incredible dress Lady Sarah wore, they're so lovely!!



Weddings are also awesome as you get to dance with wee kiddies! That's me and my newest little friend who's got some wicked dance moves. Swishing party dresses around never gets old!



 It was such a beautiful wedding, every part of it was Sarah and Brandon, from the excellent selection of local brews to the music (who else has Triplets of Belleville as their first date music?? I ask you!!), it was such a pleasure to celebrate the two of them and their life together. They're currently on their honeymoon, an epic road trip across America staying in National Parks and with friends, they just left the Badlands and are heading East towards home!

Cut to a few weeks later...



The Baha'i temple in Wilmette, IL.



Dude. It's incredible. I'm in love with the Louis Sullivan meets Moorish ornament. And inside the dome is like a lace doily, sunlight filtering through.



Whenever you move to a big city people always ask "Oh, have you been to the ____?" "Have you seen ____?". The temple in Wilmette is one of those places.



I just happened to see a notice about a free concert as part of a festival and thought that would be an interesting way to see the space. Miss Ashley also thought it would be a fun adventure so one Sunday we got in her car and drove North.



It was hotter than blazes and the cottonwood falling fast from the trees like snow.



The concert was beautiful, all a capella, songs from all sorts of faiths. And blessedly air conditioned!



Afterwards we wandered through the grounds. They're laid out in a Middle Eastern style, all grass to walk on and fountains.



And the roses, oh the roses! So fragrant! I think the last time I've been in such a lovely rose garden was at Hampton Court Palace in England.



Other good non-rose flowers too. Ashley liked these but I couldn't remembered what they were called. Miss Linda? Miss Cait?? Do you know??



We tailed a group of beach bound teenagers to the shore and ate our lunch in the shade of some trees. It was a lovely day, and I can't wait for Miss Ashley to finish her studies so we can play more!! Go Ashely Go!!



Now back to my laziness. I did manage to get some things done on Friday (all those piles are picked up now!!!) and ate some falafel wraps and multi-grain salad. My Auntie M fixed up one of her old pieces and shipped it out to come live with me, it arrived Friday.



It's from her Victorian/Emily Dickenson period and was inspired by the case full of things pulled out of people's throats at the Mutter Museum.


There's a slit on the side and you can drop things down the 'throat' then fish them out again with a grabby thing. So far its got a wee baby that's missing a leg, a Bell Telephone pen (Auntie M used to work for them), and a retainer (umm who's is that??) stuck down its throat. 


The back reads:

History of the Game

This toy is a reproduction of a model designed originally by the noted Fogarian physician Dr. John M. Keating. A didactic toy, it is designed to illustrate the doctors method of extracting foreign bodies from the trachea. He is said to have stumbled upon the idea after purchasing a "handy grabber" from a local Brookstone Store. 

The invention proved impractical however, as those persons not having the good fortune of having a slot in their head died of severe throat lacerations or suffocation.

I plan on having a Choking Hazards Party where we can all take turns playing doctor. Y'know. When I'm done being lazy. Definitely not next weekend though, Miss Lizbeth and her wee belly bean are coming for a visit! My brain is already whirring on things to cook together!! I'll tell you all about it in a few weeks!

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Eeeee I cannot wait to see you!! Five days and counting....

A.Sandin said...

And I can't wait to meet the belly bean!! And see you of course ;-)
Let me know if there are any recipes you want to do! We'll go to my favorite grocery store when you get here!!

caitlin said...

Mattiola, or stock, I believe. Very fragrant.

Kate said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kate said...

'm sitting in your chair catching up on your last couple of posts, so I was a bit startled to see the photo of your falafel wraps, as the photo is taken from where I am sitting.

So happy to be visiting you!!