Thursday, November 8, 2012

For the Little One


I've been taking walks almost every day now that the weather is chilly enough that I'm not a hot sweaty mess because I walk too fast. My odd collection of jobs come with nice commutes which allow me to discover new neighborhoods and take different streets in long familiar ones.


Sometimes I like to listen to the leaves, my clicking heels and the sounds of the city. Sometimes I crank up my iPod and walk along with Nora Jones, or the Avett Brothers. My songs are slowing down, whispers of Winter and snow are creeping in, and it seems a little odd to be hearing of the blazing Alabama sun when my fingers are pink with cold.


Sometimes I like someone to talk to so call a friend who walks me home. Yesterday Lizbeth was on my mind, and I was on hers, and we shared news of our lives as I wandered my way to my apartment. She'd had some false labor contractions the night before and we kept saying silly things to try and express how we were feeling. So much waiting, and changes, and now it's finally going to be happening! A little baby!


So this morning while scraping the bottom of the jar of jam Lizbeth and Amy made for the shower and realizing it was almost gone I decided to save a little for when the baby came. Maybe for another omlette confiture? More toast? Hmm. I walked, plate in hand, over to my table to sit down and eat and my phone chirped with a text message.


 And there he was. Little Jack Eliot, Lizbeth and Paul's baby boy arrived into the world today. With a grin on my face I skipped back to the fridge and put the rest of the jam on my toast. Welcome to the world sweet boy! Words can't say how happy we all are to see you!

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

*love*

Anonymous said...

Lexie - I don't always comment but I LOVE your blogs! Keep writing - keep commenting, keep eating and showing us what you eat - it's very entertaining and give a little insight into what life in Chi-town is like.

Happy New Year to you!

Elizabeth's mom

A.Sandin said...

Thank you and Happy New Year to you Miss Bev!! I can't tell you what a struggle it is to not completely turn this blog into a photo stream of your grandson, he is the cutest baby in the world! All my love to you and yours!