Saturday, August 13, 2011

Alas, poor Cabbage, I knew it well...

I've been eating cabbage for two weeks now. It's a long story.

My dear friend Miss Cait and her girlfriend Miss Lisa travel quite a lot. Last week they were in Spain and Germany! And if you'll remember, last Fall they were in Turkey and they gifted their bi-weekly vegetable delivery to me. That time it was bok choy, some beets and a pumpkin.


This time its a butt-load of cabbage, carrots, corn, greens, green beans, one wee cucumber, a tomato, an eggplant and a summer squash. HAUL!!

Last weekend I sauteed some of the cabbage with eggs, carrots, onion and some worcestershire sauce.

Last Friday night my dinner was a sauce of roasted eggplant and tomato puree over rice.

And last Sunday I shared some roasted squash and tomatoes over pasta with a childhood friend who was in town for Lolla.


Monday it was corn on the cob and cabbage slaw.

I don't remember what I ate Tuesday...

Wednesday it was one of my favorite dishes, Papa al Pomodoro, it's a lifesaver. While I love fresh bread from the farmer's market it always seem to go dry before I can eat it all. Enter Papa al Pomodoro. Of course it's from Orangette, you sautee onions, garlic and tomatoes. Pull off pieces of stale bread (soak in water if necessary), leave to sit in the tomato mix for about 15 minutes then consume. For it's not an eating dish, it's a consuming dish. You will eat it all. I had those fresh green beans on the side. I made a sad face when it was all gone.


Thursday I didn't make a damn thing as I was getting drunk, eating baked brie and watching Gaskell's North and South with some of my Ladies. Because who doesn't need an industrial revolution love story in their lives??!! If you've never read or watched any Gaskell I do recommend it. She's what would of happened if Jane Austen and Charles Dickens had a love child. Romance and English country life but with political, social, and religious conflicts! Delicious.

Now, all that's left of the veggie haul is carrots, one wee cucumber, the greens and the damn cabbage. 3/4 of a head. Not entirely sure what I'm going to do with it but it has to go. Either in my belly, the garbage, or I'm going to force Cait to take it back!

I've got a quiet weekend planned as I'm out of town next weekend (Milwaukee Irish Fest with Miss Lyndsey!!). A nice simple breakfast:


Peaches to be made into a rustic galette later this weekend.

And loads of British movies to be watched because we've got a storm coming in.

Scratch "coming in". It's here. Just had to shut my windows to stop the rain from blowing inside!

I'm so glad the weather is cooperating with my plan for the day, it always seems weird to watch British films when the weather is fine. Rainy gloom is much more appropriate. I've already worked my way through all the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes and the Miss Marples (all of them.), and now it's time for some P.D. James! Hurrah for Netflix instant play!

I hope you all are having a lovely weekend, rain or shine, and let me know if you have any good recipes for cabbage!!


2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Make the braised cabbage from A Homemade Life. It will make your apartment smell like cabbage, but it'll change your life. I don't remember if cinnamon is on her ingredient list, but if it's not, put a dash in. Seriously.

A.Sandin said...

Damn! I finished it all over the weekend but I'll keep this in mind for any future cabbages! Cinnamon eh? Hmmm