Friday, August 19, 2011

T.G.I.F.


Happy Friday everyone!

I'm off to the Magical Mystical Land of Milwaukee this weekend to visit my dear Miss Lyndsey! Perfect timing too, I had a rough week and am in need of a little break and the comfort and company of an old friend!


Speaking of friends! Another dear friend of mine, Miss Ashley, came over for dinner last Friday to celebrate her survival of finals week (and her belated Birthday)! She's becoming a librarian! How cool is that!! I'm always asking her random questions about the workings of the CPL. Having practically grown up at the library in Granville, it's weird for me to not know how things are done at my new library. Things get complicated when there are multiple branches!! If I check out a CD at one branch can I return it to another or is that bad??!! Will the librarians hate me??! Buuh!


There was lots of wine with nectarines (see Finals Week), my Mom's Honey Curry Chicken over rice with green beans, and a lovely wee apple pie a la mode for dessert! We spent about two hours watching My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding on Youtube (see Finals Week). Finals Week can really excuse any sort of behavior I've found, even when you're not the one taking tests!

It was a lovely time and I'm getting increasingly better at entertaining in my new space. It really takes me a while to figure that out for some reason! Just having people stop by is one thing, but making food in my wee kitchen when company is there and getting the timing etc down for a proper meal is quite another! I really enjoyed getting ready for Ashley though, everything went smoothly and even if it didn't she's not the sort of person to give a hoot!
Miss Linda's Honey Curry Chicken
adapted from the More-with-Less Cookbook (Mennonites!!)

3 lbs chicken
4 tbs butter
1/2 c honey
1/4 c prepared mustard (we use Colman's English mustard but any yellow mustard would do!)
1 tsp curry
1 tsp salt
(I sometimes go crazy and add some cocoanut milk and up the amount of the honey and spices if you want it to have more of an Asian feel)

Heat your oven to 350. Melt the butter then add the honey, mustard, curry and salt. Mix all together and pour over the chicken in an ovenproof dish. Bake for about an hour until chicken is cooked through. Serve over rice.
I typically just buy two chicken breasts and halve the recipe. It makes about three meals for one person that way!


And as Ashley really liked my green beans this is how I do it!

How to Achieve Cooked-Yet-Crisp Green Beans

Fill a large bowl with really cold water and put it in the fridge. Put a pot of salted water on to boil while you rinse and trim your beans. When the water comes to boil drop in the beans and only leave them in for 3-4 minutes. Just until they are bright green!! Then drain them in a colander and run them under cold water. Now put them in that bowl of water in the fridge either for 5 minutes or until you are ready to eat. Drain and voila! Crisp yet cooked beans! Try them with sauteed tomatoes and onions! It's seriously delicious!

Speaking of seriously delicious. Here is my breakfast:

I've got another in the oven for Miss Lyndsey since nothing says "I've missed you and thank you for having me!" like peach pie! I added some lime zest to the filling and it was a brilliant move. Brilliant and zingy!

I'm off to pack! Love to you all!

No comments: