Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Spring (It's here??)


In case you haven't noticed March came in like a lamb and is leaving like an angry rhinoceros.  It was 83 degrees today. Eighty. Three. My jeans were damply stuck to my ass whenever I stood up from my machine and it's pissing me off. I'm totally down for early spring-like weather but this is RIDICULOUS. I am not pleased.

However, as this is the first official day of spring I'll put my heat induced rage aside and share with you a lovely Sunday I had back when it was actually spring, two weeks ago.


Miss Ashley and her Mister, Joe, and I went on an adventure to the Chicago Botanical Gardens. We saw many wondrous things:


Birds I have never seen before (WTF IS THAT).


Cypress 'knees'. Silliest trees ever. Remind me of Dawes!


An armadillo made of succulents who I've named Pete.



More succulents and hot house anemones!


Various plants under cold frames, and check out that tree growing on the wall in the background! It was like a medieval monastery in some parts, so many trained trees!


I was quite jealous of their herb garden.


This tyme is vulgar.


Pineapples. I had been told they grew like this but wasn't totally convinced until I saw it with my own eyes. A truly ridiculous looking plant.


Shrub balls.


Really well done rock beach, they meld so nicely with the waves. The whole Japanese Garden was well done actually, I especially liked the zig-zag bridges that warded off evil spirits (apparently they can't move to the side) and all the unevenly placed stones that force you to slow down and enjoy the scenery (or brake your nose). Miss Ashley fell in love with the mallards.


But without a doubt my favorite part was Spider Island. (A misnomer?? I didn't see a single arachnid!)
It was straight out of a Carl Larsson painting and the peace and quiet on that Island was incredible, I could have stayed for hours.


The dry grasses and leaves would gently rustle in the breeze, and combined with the lull of the waves and smell of pines it was the most peaceful place I've been to for quite a while. Maybe since this fall in the mountains?






I also fell in love with birch trees on Spider Island. I've never seen so many stands of birch as at the Gardens, and it's truly a lovely sight. Very Scandinavian somehow. I might have to move here.





Note to self: buy geraniums for your windows to complete dream of being Carl Larsson.



It was a gorgeous day, and I can't wait to go back! Though I was pretty tuckered out after wandering for close to three hours! Spent the rest of the day reading and watching Pride and Prejudice (again.) from the comfort of my bed.

Tragically the wool blanket you see there has now been folded up in the closet and those socks will never be worn again.
Or any other sock.
Because it was 83 degrees today.
I want my spring back.

2 comments:

Amy said...

What a lovely place!! Next time I'm in town I "demand" we go to the gardens...demand. Miss you!

A.Sandin said...

Typically my protocol is to never negotiate. However, in this case, I think I can meet your demands. ;-)
I Miss you too darlin'!!