Monday, March 19, 2012

May the Wind Be Always at Your Back, and a Reuben in Your Stomach.


I happen to love St. Patrick's Day. It's soda bread and the Chieftains, watching drunks fall into gutters, and family tradition. 


This isn't Ireland, it's the Irish Hunger Memorial in NYC. It was right near the hotel my parents and I stayed at for my cousin's wedding two years ago and it's the coolest monument I've ever seen.

You could have a boring statue/plaque...or the Irish countryside complete with crofters cottage and mist. Check it out if you're ever in NYC.


I didn't do much for St. Patrick's Day last year and was a little bummed about that, so this year I was making up for it in my normal way: food.

First up, Margaret Bell's Irish Soda Bread.


Margaret Bell was an Irishwoman Miss Linda knew back in Jersey when she was pregnant with me. They lost touch but every St. Patrick's Day since I can remember she's made the Bell family recipe soda bread.


Soda bread is an odd thing. There's no yeast, it rises due to the baking soda and buttermilk having a reaction, and you barely knead it at all. In fact some other recipes I've seen say don't even attempt it, simply stir with as few strokes as possible to wet all the ingredients, form into a ball, and step away. That's what I did this time and can report no difference in taste from the original recipe, though my loaf might not have been as high as Miss Linda's are.


And have I mentioned letting the fairies out? That's right. Fairies. You cut a cross into the top of the loaf before you bake it, to let the fairies out (or to keep it from splitting...shh). Oh, and I forgot to brush on egg or milk or butter. And I hate raisins so used currants since they are at least cuter, being baby raisins.


Best when hot and served with a pat of butter and a mug of good strong tea. I love how bolder-like it is, a truly gnarly loaf.

My next dish is one I'd been craving since last St. Patricks's day and the Sandin family's traditional dinner for the day: Reubens. My Croat friend Miss Jess had never had one and clearly something had to be done about that!


Two slices of rye (marbled is pretty if you can find it) topped with swiss cheese and sauerkraut (in that order to keep your bread from getting too soggy).


Next layer on two or more slices of corned beef depending on your preference. Toast under the broiler until warm and the cheese is melty.


Finish with some Thousand Island dressing and a cold bottle of beer or cider. I also made a side of curry fries as Miss Jess hadn't eaten those either (madness!). Just get some frozen french fries and try to find some mild brown and boring Indian curry sauce to dip them into. It's fantastic.


Miss H joined us on Miss Jess's patio to feast and enjoy the warm weather. A truly lovely St. Patrick's Day, sláinte!

No comments: