Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Journeys End In Lovers Meeting


In my case the journey was to Skokie (f*ing Skokie) and my lover is an iPhone. That's right, the "European commune child" has got herself an iPhone.

May I introduce you to Flora, Miss Flora Poste my fancy new toy.


Isn't she lovely!! So chic and polite and full of the higher common sense! (And if you've never read or watched Cold Comfort Farm you just got none of that. And our friendship is over.).

She has already been my companion on several adventures:


We went grocery shopping together then ate a dinner of salad with chicken and cheese raviolis.  We grated lemon zest and pecorino romano over them. Divine.


We stuck together in a ridiculously vast fabric warehouse with Miss Lyndsey, where in the basement/catacombs I discovered the most horrifying clown head in a bin of lace collars. WHY.


And, being the fashionable ladies we are, of course we were present at the grand opening of the Target in the Carson, Pirie, Scott Building where we bought nothing but dined at the Pret a Manger with Miss Moshka before seeing a musical about the Eastland disaster. Flora cried. I did not.

With great power comes great responsibility (allegedly) so I'm curious to see how Miss Flora changes my life.  If it ends with me flying off in a bi-plane with Charles a la Cold Comfort Farm I'm totally down with it. Besides neither of us, or Jane Austen, can endure a mess so I'm assuming she'll enjoy tidying any of life's problems that come my way. And oooooh will they come. Are coming. Always coming?? Are here?? Poor Flora.


It's been a good few weeks since I was here last, full of friends and food and summer-times. Sometimes I feel like its wizzing by before I can get to the farmers markets and the lake, but it's only the start of August, I have time. I have enjoyed clicking around in a new pair of sandals and eating ice cream in the heat.


My dinner has often been a bowl of greens or some sort of avocado and corn salad to be scooped up with tortilla chips. Someone asked me if I was a vegetarian the other day because I eat so much avocado, I almost choked I laughed so hard.

I cleaned the land of filth that was my apartment after two busy weeks and a weekend at Pitchfork followed by a weekend working a wholesale show (where I made some lovely new friends in the Chicago Style Collective: Foxglove AccessoriesJuliet Jewelry, Megan Lee Designs, Squasht by Les, and Stylish Girl. They let me come chat with them and shared their wine! Clearly we're BFF).  I was so pleased to see my bathroom windowsill so tidy I took a picture. That's sad right?


This weekend I had the Lovely Lyndsey as a house guest. It was her birthday a few weeks ago and I spotted twin owl vases that were a perfect present for my big sister.


White for me...


...and black for her!

I also gave/forced some Wandering Jew on her as I'm on round three of cuttings from this enthusiastic vine! It is, however, reassuring that I don't kill every plant I get as my poor Cyclamen finally kicked it last week. The poor dear had been slowly declining for years and at the last was a single sad leaf which I accidently snapped off when I was closing the window. It was the first plant I got in Chicago, a Valentines Day present, almost four years ago! Oh well, at least that mint plant is still alive.


As it was cooler this weekend I dared turn my oven on to make these oaty scones for our breakfast on Sunday. Every time I visit her in Milwaukee Lyndsey makes a first class breakfast, usually waffles, so I was glad to be able to return the favor.


I'm not sure why I bother having a table when my guests always end up eating on the floor. At least I provided tuffets/pillows to sit on in an attempt to be dignified.


 I made these with blueberries (I had a bag I'd been using as a makeshift ice pack which I needed to get rid of as most of them were smashed to bits. Oops.) and while the first batch was fine the second was really really blue! Like Bridget Jones soup shade blue.


Very tasty though and I'm munching on one now while watching the Olympics. I think Flora is jealous. Until next time my sweets! Go eat an avocado!  


No comments: