Sunday, March 11, 2012

"Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Bat,


How I wonder what you're at!
Up above the world you fly
Like a tea-tray in the sky."
Lewis Carroll

I had a sneaking suspicion last week after publishing my post that this was not the first time I had been completely "whelmed" in March. Sure enough last March I was also a blithering mess for a few days, I must be susceptible to the March madness. Of course not in the cute Bambi "twitterpated" way but the twitchy Alice in Wonderland's March Hare way...

So I decided to have a tea party. At least my manners are better than the Hare, I didn't throw scones at anyone. Though there was an unfortunate incident involving an avalanche of cream puffs!


Saturday was a delightfully sunny and warm day, a gentle breeze coming through the open widows. Miss Connie O, Miss Ireland, and I chatted for hours picking away at the spread of crumpets with jam, sammiches of salmon and cream cheese on pumpernickel, cucumber and hummus on french bread, cream puffs, and Brussels cookies. We drank four pots of tea!


My scarf from Italy made a lovely last minute tablecloth and I was finally able to use my Great Grandmother Alice Lavinia's lustreware tea set. Miss Ireland brought her silver tea spoons which have little dudes on them that look like the Javanese wayang puppets I studied ages ago in college. Pinkies up fancy!


Miss Connie O kept me company afterwards (she had a party to attend nearby) and we watched the 1924 Thief of Bagdad with the hunky/ridiculous Douglas Fairbanks and finished off the plater of salmon sammiches. I went to bed early as I was tuckered out after my tea party and having stayed up late Friday getting slightly plastered on pink ladies with Miss Cait!


She has just returned from Turkey with some excellent stories about sleeping in caves. An added bonus was discovering the Japanese restaurant down the street has a ridiculous happy hour: 4 5-piece maki, 3 sushi for $16. Clearly I will be here every Friday after work.


 Thankfully, all these lovely things exorcised my March Hare twitch. Time to move on to the Frabjous day.  Let the slaying begin, I've got my ladle ready!

No comments: