Monday, April 23, 2012

Lucy Pevensie found Narnia...



...I found a built-in ironing board. You never know what's behind a door.


Of course Lucy didn't need to enlist the help of Miss Eire and her toolbox to pry the quarter round off the wall. We made quick work of it, called it all sorts of names, and then shrieked with glee when we discovered what was inside.


It's in excellent condition, just a bit dusty, has a sleeve board (!), and is almost making me wish I ironed my clothes. Almost.


It's a little musty from being shut up for who knows how long, so I've got the door open to let it air out.

I'm just glad there weren't any mummified dead rats in there. Or that it looked into my neighbor's kitchen. Or made the wall cave down. Or had a curse like King Tut's tomb. Y'know, normal stuff like that.

I'm not really sure what to do with it though! It's not in an ideal location to put it to good use. I've had to rearrange my trash system to keep the door open but it's too cool to keep hidden! Maybe I'll take the door off...paint the inside white...or be lazy and do nothing....hmmm.


After the excitement of the morning's discovery Miss Eire and I went back to her house for Tea. She is a collector and we spent a lovely day poking through piles of deliciously gaudy costume jewelry, 60's nudie catalogues and other awesome things of times past. We ate pumpkin loaf and blueberry baked-ness with homemade jam and drank tea out of turquoise Fiestaware. She also has a dog that looks like an Ewok who I'm madly in love with.


And I made off with some loot! Miss Eire had a pile of old keys from her Grandmother and was sweet enough to let me have some (and a darling spotted handkerchief). The big one is obviously the key to the Secret Garden, and I'm thinking of using the smaller two for a necklace.

It was a delight-full day and every time I peep into my kitchen I get giddy!  Plus I now know a place to get mighty fine chicken and fried okra. Fried okra.


I'm not sure if it was all the excitement of the day before, but Sunday I ruled to stay in my pjs and be lazily productive.


-I read more Le Carre
-organized the interior design files on my computer
-scrubbed down the ironing cupboard with soapy lemony water and swept up debris
-made a damn tasty asian noodle salad (p.s. 'poaching chicken' just means boiling it. fancypants.)
-watched 2.5 Austen movies (Sense and Sensibility, Northanger Abbey, and Bridget Jones)
and finally went completely mad and made brownies to eat while watching Jane Eyre.


I'm glad I did, they are probably the best brownies I've ever made. Rich chocolate flavor, not too sweet, no oil, fudge-y middle and flaky top. Plus you can add 'hot water bath' to your culinary know-how.

Curled up in my chair under a snug blanket with a brownie stuffed mouth watching one of my favorite films (while being in possession of a built-in ironing board and the key to the Secret Garden) was a kick-ass way to end my weekend.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

An ironing board! That's so cool! Who'd have thought?

Amy and I were talking about you on Thursday - we went to that tea shop out by Wilson's and neither of us had been since Christmas break when we three went. We also walked around Wilson's, where Amy bought (another) succulent. Surprise?

Anyway, the upshot of our conversation was that we miss you and want you to come home to see us or we want to go there to invade your little slice of paradise again.

Also, brownie recipe, please? I think the baby needs them....

A.Sandin said...

I miss you Ladies too, you are both so dear to me!! I think it's my turn to come to you, i'm going to try and come out in early summer! Not sure when exactly, but as soon as I can manage!! I want to meet your Bean and hear about Amy's succulent problem!

Until then stuff your face:
http://www.thewednesdaychef.com/the_wednesday_chef/2010/02/alice-medrichs-cocoa-brownies.html

caitlin said...

I knew it! I'm so glad you found a way to open it! Whee!